We are praying for you...


           I have been asking God a lot of questions lately.  Not necessarily the normal “why do bad things happen to good people” but more “what do we do when bad things happen?”  and worse “what do we do when bad things happen to the people we love?”  How do we help? What do we say to comfort?  How much can they take?  My brother in law has been battling cancer for four years.  When he was diagnosed his daughters were 3 and 8 months.  They are now 6 and almost 4.  Basically their whole lives their dad has had cancer.  But you wouldn’t know it because Dave is a strong dude.  He doesn’t complain (at least not out loud) and he doesn’t let it affect his fortitude to keep living as normal a life as he possibly can.  Lately though, the doctors are finding more cancer and the treatments are getting stronger and we are all ….well, scared.  
        Cancer is scary.  We don’t want it for the ones we love, we don’t want it for anyone, but it’s here and so what do we do?  Pray, yes.  At times, that’s all I know to do, but if this was my husband, and all anyone ever said to me was “we are praying for you” you know honestly I think I would get sick of hearing that.  Don’t get me wrong, I think prayer is THE most important thing we can do for them right now, but sometimes people just say it because they don’t know what else to say.  Hopefully everyone is REALLY praying, and hard because I believe God can do miracles.  I also believe that we live in a world where crappy things happen to great people.  So yes, we should pray, but when I asked God what can I do, he answered in a different way.  
       Over the last few years I have realized what an amazing support system we have as we have raised money for lots of worthy causes.  We have seen our friends and family give in huge ways and we have been humbled to be blessed by you…especially this past year as we have raised money for our adoption.  If you have ever been one to say “I am praying for you!” and then went home and totally forgot you ever said it….let me challenge you with this.  Pray longer, pray harder, and DO what you can as well.  If God is tugging on your heart to GIVE or SERVE or GO or whatever….DO IT.  Don’t just say you’re going do it.  (believe me when I say, I am as guilty of this as anyone)

        My sister in law is a strong woman.  She takes care of two kids, her husband, works, and still has time to ask me how I am doing.  She doesn’t break down very often, but who could blame her if she did…she has a lot on her plate.  When I spoke to her this weekend, her voice was shaky as she talked about the next steps they have to take in their journey to fight this cancer.  You can tell she’s scared…for herself, for her husband, for her girls.  The one thing I feel God telling me to do right now is help them raise the funds they need to payoff their medical bills.  They should be enjoying every minute they have together…not worrying about the bills that are due.  I have seen how God can work through people just giving $1.  We raised almost 5,000 dollars in a week, mostly with small donations.  So here I am again friends, asking that you open your hearts, and give to this deserving family.  It’s easy to read about someone’s story, think to yourself “that’s sad” and then go about your day.  I know we are all busy…I am just asking you to give five minutes of your time…to give a dollar…or more if you can to Allison and Dave and their girls.  We can fight cancer by prayer…we can fight cancer by support….we can fight cancer with love….we can fight, but we can’t fight alone.  So please share this link on your facebook pages, and please keep our family in your prayers…and if you can, please give!


Click here to read their story or to give!
https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/4cv3/dave-thornton-s-cancer-fund