Let's build a school!



So Pastor Amos regularly writes me asking for our help.  In four years we have been able to do some small things to help.  We’ve tried our hand at raising funds and it gets more and more daunting to think of new ways to raise money for the people of the slums.  We have sold t-shirts, I held an art show and sold some of my photos and paintings of Africa, we’ve sent letters, we’ve asked friends and family, my house church in Michigan was able to raise enough money to finish building Pastor Amos’ church, we’ve even sent much of our own money.  With all these efforts, we’ve raised probably around six thousand dollars when all is said and done….maybe a little more, maybe a little less.  I was starting to feel alone in this venture.  At the beginning, there are always supporters, but they tend to drop off as time goes by, and I can't blame them...life is busy.  So I guess my job now is to try even harder.  

 At times I feel helpless, at times I feel hopeful.  I want to be a part of building this church, but sometimes the amount of money seems astronomical to me.  I wouldn’t even know how to begin to raise funds like that.  

Today I feel hopeful.  I received an e-mail from a retired teacher from the UK named Dave.  He students visited Amos' church/school not that long ago and he was starting to get some funds together to build them a new building. He said I am the fourth person to respond to his efforts to make this happen.  He thinks together, with all of our fundraising efforts, the five of us can do it.  

Not alone anymore.

So now, my part.   

I was trying to think of a new fun way to raise some money to get this project to happen.  I am planning on doing a triathlon in August and I thought, what if I could raise $100 dollars for every mile I go.  I am going 13.3 miles.  $1300 dollars will certainly seal the deal for this project.  We can build a school together in Africa.  Let's do it.  I will swim, bike and run 13.3 miles.  So I am doing the hard work, all you have to do is pitch in whatever you can.  Just go to my donate button on the side bar and let's build a school! Thank you for your prayers and donations in advance...I will definitely need the prayers because I have never done anything like this in my life.  I hate exercising.  Loathe would probably be a more appropriate word.  But I am willing to try.  

For some inspiration here are photos of the students at the school!