Marti

"She was a light." That’s what everyone at the funeral kept saying, I heard it over and over. I barely ever listen to the radio with three kids in the back but I had rare time in the car with just me and my thoughts on the way to and from the funeral.  On both drives a song played that said all the things. This song and her funeral service reminded me just who we should be living for.



Do you feel the world is broken? (We do)
Do you feel the shadows deepen? (We do)
But do you know that all the dark won't stop the light from getting through? (We do)
Do you wish that you could see it all made new? (We do)
Is all creation groaning? (It is)
Is a new creation coming? (It is)
Is the glory of the Lord to be the light within our midst? (It is)
Is it good that we remind ourselves of this? (It is)
Is anyone worthy? Is anyone whole?
Is anyone able to break the seal and open the scroll?
The Lion of Judah who conquered the grave
He is David's root and the Lamb who died to ransom the slave
Is He worthy? Is He worthy
Of all blessing and honor and glory?
Is He worthy of this?
He is
-Chris Tomlin


She was a second mom to me and she is interwoven into my childhood memories so tightly that I don’t remember a time before her. Her daughter was my very first friend in life. She was my mom's dear friend and I can hear them laugh and laugh and laugh (at our expense? probably.) Now I am a mom and have mom friends and I understand their bond more than ever. You literally can’t survive motherhood without your mom friends. We loved her but her family was her world and we all watched them love each other fiercely and we admired the way they supported each other.  And we are so heartbroken for them. 

I headed up to camp to pick up Max today and returned with a carload of kids.  I remembered those drives as a kid headed up to camp with Marti, Beth and my mom and I smiled, and shed a few tears, but ultimately I was thankful for the blessing of Marti and that she knew it was an important part of our faith journey to take us to camp every year.  She knew probably better than all of us, what it meant to be excited about her faith. She was excited for heaven and lived her life in anticipation of it. May we all live this way. May we live a life worthy of the one who is worthy of it all. 


I will continue to pray for the family you left behind.