Pouring out Your Blessings


I knew from a young age that I was different from the kids around me.  When other kids were climbing trees and biting each other, I was asking my mom why there was money in the world, because I didn’t understand why so many people didn’t have it.  Why would there be something that would separate people based on how much of it they had?  Didn’t God make everybody the same?  Why then are there kids that don't eat?  This is what I was worrying about while the other kids were fighting over their toys.  When I said my prayers at night, I always asked God to take away the money so everyone could eat and go to doctors.   

As I grew up, I found other people like me that worried about the same things. There are so many people that CARE.  The last few months have solidified this for me.  There has been a flood of prayer and support for me and for this effort.  I can't believe how many amazing people in my life have texted, called, sent money, lent me a bike (thanks Katie!), or just asked me how my training is going.  This has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life...and I haven't even raced yet!  

Last week, I was at my Grandma's sitting on her couch.  She had asked me to come pray with her.  Tears came down my face as she prayed for the kids in Kenya and for our family.  She reminded me that God always blesses more than we expect Him to.  She gave me this verse from Malachi:
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.  "Test me in this", says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have enough room for it."  When we hold on tightly to what we have, God cannot bless us in this way...When we open our hands and give to God what is already His, He will overwhelm us with blessings.   Thanks Gram, for that beautiful reminder.  

Guess what?!   I am at $1075! Only $225 more to go and I have just over a week to raise the rest.  God has certainly surpassed my expectations.  

Even though I am adult and I know it sounds stupid, sometimes I still pray that prayer.  "Dear God, please take away all the money so everyone can eat and go to doctors. Thanks." Love Jen     


Some more pictures of the kids we are helping!